Leucovorin, an active type of folic acid used in cancer treatment, is present in Leucovorin Calcium Injection. It functions as a "rescue agent" in conjunction with several chemotherapy medications, reducing their harmful effects, especially when methotrexate is used. Leucovorin aids in the protection of healthy cells while facilitating chemotherapy's successful targeting of cancer cells by improving folate metabolism. Healthcare personnel deliver this injectable medicine. Leucovorin Calcium Injection is essential for treating some tumours, lowering methotrexate toxicity, and enhancing therapeutic results. Common side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and allergic responses are typically moderate. Before beginning treatment, patients should go over potential risks and benefits with their healthcare professional.
A medicine called leucovorin calcium injection is used to treat cancer, especially when combined with specific chemotherapy medications. It has leucovorin, a kind of folic acid known as folinic acid that is active.
1. Leucovorin is a folic acid derivative that assists in DNA synthesis and cell metabolism.
2. Rescue Agent: It is frequently used as a "rescue agent" in the treatment of cancer to prevent the harmful effects of some chemotherapy medicines, such as methotrexate, which impede folic acid metabolism.
4. Enhancing Efficacy: Leucovorin may improve the effectiveness of various medications, including fluorouracil (5-FU), in some chemotherapy regimens by making them more effective against cancer cells.
5. Leucovorin is a medication that can be used in palliative care to lessen the negative effects of chemotherapy and enhance the patient's quality of life.
6. Leucovorin Calcium Injection is frequently provided intravenously by medical experts.
In general, leucovorin is well tolerated and has few noticeable adverse effects. However, minor side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and allergic responses might occasionally happen.
Before beginning therapy with Leucovorin Calcium, patients should talk to their doctor about any possible risks and side effects. The management of adverse effects and the safe and efficient use of this medicine can be achieved through routine monitoring and appropriate medical supervision during therapy.